I suggest ...

Renovate or replace the play equipment in the Community Park.

The existing play structure is quite old and needs to be updated. The wood is starting to splinter and it's not as rigid as it was. Please use the comments to voice your thoughts on the play structure, and have a look at playstructure related suggestions.

Some questions:

What do you like and not like about the play equipment?
Have you seen things at other playgrounds that you wish we had?
Is there enough variety of equipment, too much, or not enough?

78 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)

Thanks to strong community support, stellar fundraising efforts by the Mothers of Brisbane, a commitment by the Brisbane Lions Club to demolish and off-haul the existing structure, and the City being awarded a $20,000 grant by KaBOOM!, a new playground was completed in the Community Park and dedicated to the Community on December 15, 2012!

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Barbara EbelBarbara Ebel commented  · 

I often see groups of kids coming from out of town to play on the play structure. It maybe less than perfect, but I personally feel that there are more pressing issues in Brisbane right now and the money would be better put to use elsewhere. Its a great conversation however so that we know exactly what the community wants when the time comes.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I have missed a lot of the commentary around this issue and hope that the city will refrain from using pressure treated wood on the play structure surfaces as it leaches arsenic especially when wet. There is a great site called Environmental Working Group www.ewg.org that had published an extensive study on this subject. There are so many great examples of cool play structures like Coyote Point's Playground. I think the most important thing I would have loved was a small fence around the benches and play area would have been great as it is a little scary to have the play area so close to the exit and street. I think the footprint of the playground could be even larger as many days the playground is so well used.

• Bob RawlingsBob Rawlings commented  · 

Sorry to be a bummer but replacing things is not always the best choice.
        I think fixing things should always be the top priority.
        It's usually cheaper and less wasteful , smaller carbon footprint etc.

• Anja MillerAnja Miller commented  · 

Here's a modest suggestion from a Grandma:
        Naybe the City can plan the play structure replacement in two stages -- one now to remove hazards and restore what was meant to be there with minor improvements, the second phase if and when more money becomes available. We also need to remember that the park was intended for all ages, with balanced amounts of area set aside for both play and picnic and events audience.

• Alejandra ArbetmanAlejandra Arbetman commented  · 

Thanks for having this space to communicate our opinion. Most people quit from something they do when there is a difficulty, having this space is great for people that want to make a change instead of just turning away…
        We use the community park a lot; it is a convenient place to meet with other moms while the kids use the playground. I feel it’s time for a new play structure. My kids come home hurt from the wood that keeps peeling off the structure, and falling in the cement makes bad skin burns. We visited nearby playgrounds which are renovated, safe and fun.We would like:
        * Safer Ppay area, where kids can run and jump in a safer rubber surface. The structures don’t have wood that can potentially get inside the skin.
        * Separated little kids sand area: The sand area is separated from the area where bigger kids are running, jumping from the air. Older kids are still kids and don’t look for the little low speed young kids when they are running after each other. Also, most sand areas have shade, to allow to play with the sand and keep them cool for a while.
        * A small cement fence for keeping speeding bikes and dogs outside the play area would give huge peace of mind to moms.
        *few baby swings would be nice.
        Thank you,
        Ale

• Michael BarnesMichael Barnes commented  · 

There are four parks in Brisbane that have play structures. The tot lot, two at BES, and the dilapidated structure in the community park. From 1 to ~7 years old, my son loved the community park and tot lot. After that age he rarely used play structures; he graduated to the fields, basketball courts, skatepark and Post Office parking lot. I think the new play structure in the community park should be about the same size, and be intended for kids up to a maximum of 7 or 8 years old. I also think it is healthy for kids to get dirty, so sand or other natural material around the structure is preferable to synthetics.

• Katie GrafKatie Graf commented  · 

The playground equipment is unsafe, just recently saw a child stumble on it because the wood would not support his weight. Wish we had swings too. I would also prefer something other than sand.

• Lori LiuLori Liu commented  · 

I agree we need 2 separate play structures, one for 0-5 and 5-12 years old. Also, we need swings and slides, both infant and kid-size. The ground should not be sand, which is messy and dirty, but should be soft mesh, like in other new playgrounds. Also, it would be nice to have trees that create some shade to prevent sunburn, and a short fence to keep the kids contained in the playground.

• Jessica AloftJessica Aloft commented  · 

Yes please!! Let's make the entrance to our town more attractive and unique with a beautiful new play area. The current structure has served its purpose well, but with more and more young families in Brisbane, we need a bigger play area with different areas for 0 - 5 and 5 - 12 years. When I hear about people driving out of town to bigger and better playgrounds, I think why can't we have that here?? More play space in general would be so appreciated during community events, concerts in the park, and other big events when the current play structure is literally crawling with kids! A water feature would be wonderful, especially in summer and early fall (and would save the drinking fountain for, er, drinking). Swings would probably take up too much room - I would rather see that space benefit more kids (but maybe a couple of baby swings would work?). The nature theme seems appropriate to me - it would be great for the kids to see images of the native plants and animals from around here - they hear the names "silverspot", "mission blue", "checkerspot", but do they even know that those are butterflies from our area? Thank you for taking this renovation seriously -- this is a once-in-a-generation project, and our family is so grateful that the city council and staff are committed to building a new community park playground. Even though times are tough, we can pull this off, and have a beautiful new playground for our town's flagship park.

• Bonnie Boswell DiazBonnie Boswell Diaz commented  · 

Our play structure now is kind of small and boring. I would love a bigger playground that expands further into the field. It would be great if it had a them or had an artistic look with some big slides, swings, some sort of artistic water feature and sand box. Or how about some sort of obstacle course that keeps the kids moving around, throught, across, over, & under. Need more variety. How about a Kid bike trail obstacle course that goes around (like it does now) with a few added bumps, uphill features, curves etc. Just some ideas.

• Bonnie Boswell DiazBonnie Boswell Diaz commented  · 

Our play structure now is kind of small and boring. I would love a bigger playground that expands further into the field. It would be great if it had a them or had an artistic look with some big slides, swings, some sort of artistic water feature and sand box. Or how about some sort of obstacle course that keeps the kids moving around, throught, across, over, & under. Need more variety. How about a Kid bike trail obstacle course that goes around (like it does now) with a few added bumps, uphill features, curves etc. Just some ideas.

• Christy YorkChristy York commented  · 

I think it is time for a new playground at the Community Park. Tons of kids have enjoyed the current structure but it is becoming unsafe. Thanks!

• Rebecca ChanRebecca Chan commented  · 

I like the ideas below for expansion to 2 playgrounds for different age groups and having a nature theme. More variety of equipment would be great, like swings, see-saws, play area under the structure and a climbing wall-type entry would be lovely.

Feedback and Knowledge Base