My economic development idea is...

Farmer's Market winter relocation

With inclement and brutal winter weather threatening closure of the Farmer's Market, it might be a great idea to relocate it indoors into the Community Center for the season. This would keep the Market open, and provide a central location that would be a bit more convenient and just as recognizable.

I never shopped outdoors on Thursday Market days after work when it was dark and cold and windy, but I'd go to the well lit, warm and comfortable CC, for sure. Being able to get indoors to shop on a Sunday morning would be much more pleasant, too.

There are places to offload product for the vendors both in front and in the back of the facility, with room for seating for coffee and cookie sales by MOB or food from the Lions or whatever organization wanted to vend (like the Girls Scouts or the fund raisers sponsored by BEST). That "cracker barrel" space would increase community interactions and would add to our already robust home town charm.

In addition, it would likely increase ancillary sales at Midtown Market.

10 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Molly Burke shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anja Miller commented  · 

Good idea; we do need fresh produce all year.
        But why move the market to the well-used Community Center? What about the nearest, ample vacant space right across the street in the 1 San Bruno building? With a cooperative owner and City participation, some of the other ideas for part-time facilities proposed here could also be accommodated. Failing that, the other nearby space that could be used for the winter market is the old Teen Center.

• Anonymous commented  · 

yes! What a great idea --- good one, Molly! BDW may be using the CC for classes during the Thursday hours (?) but perhaps there is some kind of comparable, unused space that the city can offer for this purpose -- the Teen Center (too small?). Maybe the city can approach owners of one of the many empty storefronts in the Village or on Visitacion about a short-term situation.

• Jane Shaffer commented  · 

This sounds like a great idea. It's tough on both customers and vendors to have an outdoors market after dark during the winter.

Feedback and Knowledge Base