My economic development idea is...

To have a Trader Joes or WholeFoods in our town. This will drive sales tax into our city.

103 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Coleen Mackin commented  · 

23,000-30,000 residents in order for a market to consider locating in Brisbane.
        Read the Urban Land Institute - Technical Assistance Panel (ULI-TAP) Report from January 2014.
        Be careful what you ask for. This would be better suited for the Baylands closer to a large population center and also still in our city limits so we gain the tax revenues

• Tony Verreos commented  · 

I've shopped all of the options. I find each has something to offer whether it be the all in on place shopping experience, or the specialty items that cater to specific tastes or diets. Face the facts people. We don't all eat the same diet. We don't all spend the
        same on what we prefer to buy. We plan our driving in order to avoid extra trips out of town, so shopping outside of Brisbane is no inconvenience to us.

Brisbane now has its very own Farmers Market - how much demand is there for that?
        We have Midtown which is a very mixt bag. Our biggest positive change might be if
        the owner there would sell it, although I recall hearing that property is a strange deal with the owner of the store owning the building and someone else owning the land?
        Enlarging that and getting a more market oriented owner would satisfy a lot of our needs. Not holding my breathe.

When people suggest chains come to town, they seem to be oblivious to the market
        research those companies all do. If they wanted to be here, our Chamber of Commerce would know it. What would work well here is a Walgreens, but that shopping center management is clueless.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I like TJ's and I like Whole Foods. Recently, I have been introduced to Sprouts and really appreciate the lower cost option. I have yet to try the new California Lucky's (new concept) in Daly City, but hope to soon. Although, I would love the convenience of any of these stores in Brisbane, I also would love to keep the small town feel of downtown Brisbane and perhaps have this option available on the Bayshore (North or South of town). I find it quite nice driving through town and knowing that nobody is in a huge traffic rush. I think this would change if we had such an attraction for out-of-towners.

• Anjana Richards commented  · 

I echo what most people say - I would love to have a more robust grocery store that sells really fresh food. TJ's is my first choice, but if it was a Lucky's or Lunardi's or whatever that was closer to home, I'd shop there!

Regarding traffic, we don't need to bring a grocery store into "Old Town" Brisbane - what about along Bayshore? Are there sites north of town along Bayshore that could serve the SE part of SF? That traffic corridor is already impacted, would a store adversely impact that?

• Anja Miller commented  · 

> The South east quadrant of SF and the Eastern part of SSF have no grocer to speak of. <

True, but UPC's Schlage Lock development in SF just across our border, with 1,600 housing units approved (that's almost equal to what all of Brisbane now has!) includes a major supermarket. Let's hope it'll be a TJ's.

BTW, another nearby city that doesn't have its neighborhood TJ's is San Bruno.

• Donna Salazar commented  · 

Just because Brisbane is small doesn't mean a TJ's can't attract traffic from other areas. The South east quadrant of SF and the Eastern part of SSF have no grocer to speak of. There are also lots of businesses in Brisbane and SSF. Employees could stop on the way home. A TJ's would completely revitalize the shopping center and be good for the other businesses as well.

• Anja Miller commented  · 

Of course we'd all welcome a TJ here, but that business relies on lots and lots of customers every day. There just aren't enough of us to meet that requirement.

We need to accept the fact that our treasured small-town lifestyle with its many benefits also includes certain inconveniences and costs. But we can surely exercise our consumer power to get our existing businesses to improve.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I don't like leaving town to shop for basic stuff. I figure that doing so amounts to a Plenty of sales tax revenue over the course of a year that is NOT going to Brisbane, and that bothers me. Realistically, though, TJ's and Whole Paycheck will not see fit to settle here without the right infrastructure and exposure.

• Annoymous commented  · 

We definitely need Trade Joes.

Feedback and Knowledge Base