My economic development idea is...

Create One-Way Streets to enable on street parking and clear sidewalks

Brisbane walkability would be increased significantly if the sidewalks were cleared of parked cars. By strategic conversion of certain streets or blocks to one-way traffic flow, you can narrow the driving surface (reducing from 2 lane to 1 lane width) and continue to allow emergency vehicle and local access while benefiting from moving parking from the sidewalk and into the street. This would not reduce the amount parking available. It would give us the ability to have a clear walking surface, options for plants and trees in the 'parking strip' and potentially increase property values due to the increased livability. Not all streets would be chosen. Only those that are potentially wide enough to benefit (such as Mendocino and Klamath west of Visitacion).

28 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Scott shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anjana Richards commented  · 

Great idea!! So many streets are narrow, they feel like one ways anyway.

• Angel I commented  · 

I think it would be important on San Benito Rd near the school. Make it one way from San Benito/Sierra Point/Artist walkway intersection heading toward Glen Parkway, with sidewalk being on the school side. Children and caregivers walk on the winding road to/from school daily and it is very dangerous. Cars cannot see around turns and drive too fast. Just a short section, easy for homeowners to get around that live on that strip (I am one) and should fall under the "walk-to-school safe streets program".

Feedback and Knowledge Base