Economic Development Forum

Welcome to the City’s Economic Development Forum! On November 3, 2014, the Council held a Community Workshop to hear the Community’s Economic Development suggestions and ideas concerning Downtown Brisbane and Crocker Industrial Park. Minutes from the workshop can be found here towards the bottom of the page: http://brisbaneca.org/city-council/2014-11-03. Part of the workshop entailed sharing with the Council the ideas that were submitted on this forum.

At this time, the forum is still open if you’d like to submit an idea you don’t already see listed by one of your fellow community members. If you have a picture of somewhere you visited that you think would work in town, please either submit it via the City’s Facebook page (www.facebook.com/brisbane94005) or e-mail it to Caroline at ccheung@ci.brisbane.ca.us. As they say, a picture is worth 1,000 words. Thank you for your participation and feedback!

My economic development idea is...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Encourage a SMBO or resident to open a B&B

I'd love to see some (maybe a Mom-preneur?) open a Bed&Breakfast. So many families have short-term houseguests they can't accommodate comfortably and who want to stay right here in town. Love to see something along these lines sprout up in Brisbane. Don't know if special zoning is required if it's a commercial business in a residential area?

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    • Corporate events at the Pool

The City could hire an event planner to come up with some theme packages (a Hollywood glamour pool party, a tropical pool party, whatever) and then have it staged, a bar, etc. and then sell it as an event package to some of the prosperous biotech firms and high-tech companies that are looking for somewhere unusual to have their company parties. The event planner produces the party, and shares the proceeds with the City. You could probably charge $5,000 a party! The setting is gorgeous.

6 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
      • Citizens Appointed Economic Development Commission

The city council should create an economic development commission, appointed by the council, in which local residents serve a two or four year term similar to other commissions. This commission would focus on economic development opportunities vital to our community year round while interfacing with the city council economic development sub-committee.

4 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Admin →
        • Brisbane days at the pool where the pool would be reserved for people with current Brisbane I.D. and their dependents.

This would be great way for folks to meet othe town folks that may not meet.

4 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • A Zip-Line from the top of San Bruno Mountain down to the Community Park

I know this will never happen; residents would get tired of people falling off the zip-line and through their roofs. But wouldn't it be cool.

4 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  Admin →
            • Encourage a Brisbane credit union. It would be nice to have an option other than Bank of America.

People appreciate that Bank of America allows Brisbane a local option for deposits, mortgages, loans, etc.; however, the competition of a credit union would benefit our community.

3 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Respond to the real estate and retail markets.

Crocker is ~90% occupied, so it is successful. The chances city government policies can make Crocker more profitable are small compared to the risk of new policies increasing vacancy. Sierra Point development has largely been approved, but this location has transportation limitations. Focus instead on remediating and developing the Baylands, this is where significant environmental restoration and economic development can occur, as taxes on Kinder and Recology demonstrate. Listen to SF businesses that want excellent public transport for their workers - the two rail lines serving the Baylands provide this. And the 200,000+ vehicles on 101 are a much bigger…

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • How do you promote environment friendly construction in Brisbane, to reduce global warming.

The city should provide fast track approval for environment friendly projects. It does not cost anything to the city. The rules should be approved by the city and the staff directed to act on these rules on fast track system.

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Consistent parking enforcement

Our streets are quite narrow.There was a time residents did park their cars the right way on our streets. Now it is appears, residents park any old way that they want, making a hodge podge and messy look to streets. And of course there are the cars that still park across the sidewalk, so people are forced to walk into the street. I used to see cars get tickets for crossing the double yellow line on Visitacion Avenue to park their car. Residents used to get tickets for these things. I suggest we have consistent enforcement here for continuity and…

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Brisbane Exit on CA 101

One reason so few people know about our town is that nobody can find us. The northbound and southbound exits off CA 101 should be clearly marked for Brisbane, in addition to noting the Cow Palace.

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • parking permits

Start having parking permits for Brisbane residents, and limit the amount one house can have. I know of one house on Mendocino St. that owns six cars and parks all of them in the street. They have a garage and a driveway and don't use it. They leave the cars in the same spots for weeks sometimes and none of them are ever even ticketed. I would be happy to pay for a yearly permit if it means I can finally park on my own street.

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Cameras at Visitation and Mariposa

I have noticed a marked increase in neighbors behaving badly at that intersection.

People making left turn over the double yellow line to pull into a parking space in front of Julie's Deli. I counted 8 in one hour last week during the lunch hour!

Although the city changed the sidewalk on the cross street by extending them into the street to stop people from making a U-turn, it does not deter everyone...now they make five point turns to make the turn.

A camera in that location would stop the people like Leila from making Visitation a drag strip when…

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)